Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hope

A little over a week ago, my Grandma Vera, passed away. She was my dad's mother.
Over the years I have witnessed (and done some witnessing) of people sharing their faith in Jesus with her. Praying for her to accept the free gift of salvation that is offered through our Lord Jesus.
While I was growing up she had been our guest many times at church. She sat through the service and I never noticed that she really didn't want to be there.

My dad (her son) shared his faith, I've shared my faith, my other set of grandparents shared their faith, even my daughter shared her faith with Vera. Of all of the people I know of, Alexis sharing her faith made me pray more and more for Vera's heart to soften towards The Truth.

My grandma was a proud & strong-willed woman, gave her opinion on everything & anything no matter what the listener thought.
Growing up, we always laughed at her "colorful" language and gestures towards everyone!

She would listen to what we wanted to tell her about Jesus, but sometimes would basically say that she had had enough.

Unfortunately I didn't know she was in her final days so I can't say for sure if she had come to a decision at some point in her life (or in her hospital bed) on whether she had accepted Jesus as her Savior or not.

After she died, I felt so sad that I didn't have yet one more opportunity to pray with her and tell her one more time that God loves her and I want to be with her in Heaven some day.
But as so many people have reminded me, she had been given plenty of opportunities and ultimately she was given free will to do with as she pleased.

I pray that I will again see her someday.

I was given a fresh boost of hope 5 days later when I was teaching in Alexis' 1st/2nd grade class on Wednesday night. The class has a prayer journal that the teachers record each child's prayer request if they have one.

Well 2 days before Vera died, Alexis' prayer request was for her "great grandma's salvation". I was not in her classroom that night, nor had we talked about Vera in the past week or so.

However, this is not an unusual prayer request from her (according to other teachers) but that night it had even more value.

We can expect HUGE miracles from our Lord because he promised he would be faithful. The Holy Spirit brings people & other prayers to mind & I'm so thankful that Alexis was obedient to that.

I pray that it has eternal rewards in the following days.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks, Sis, for sharing!! I've cried many, many times over Vera. Your Dad asked her on his "deathbed" if she would accept the Lord so he could see her in heaven someday and sadly, she had no response. But, as a friend told me today, we never know how to she responded to the Holy Spirit in those last seconds before she entered Eternity.. Love you . MOM